The National Forum for Black Public Administrators (NFBPA) is pleased to announce its 2016 Scholarship Program. The NFBPA Scholarship Program is designed to recognize African-American or minority students who are currently enrolled full-time at a college or university who exemplify outstanding scholarship, and leadership, particularly as related to public service.
We invite undergraduate and graduate students to participate in this year’s program as we look forward to making this year’s scholarship awards. NFBPA supports over 12 college students each year, with annual scholarships totaling more than $45 thousand dollars through partnerships with corporate supporters, public sector organizations and individual contributors.
2015 Scholarship Recipients
Prisma N. Patrick
Jessica M. Gonzalez
|Cory L. Shaffer
CIGNA: UNDERGRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
School of Business
George Washington University
|Donyell A. Wolfe
CIGNA: GRADUATE SCHOLARSHIP
School of Public Affairs & Administration
University of Kansas
|Olivia J. Cook
INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEERING INCORPORATED
College of Liberal Arts
CPS HR CONSULTING
School of Planning
& Public Policy
Jackson State University
|Joshua F. Davis
J DOS INTERNATIONAL
Department of Government
College of Humanities
Virginia Commonwealth University
It is important to read all information BEFORE completing scholarship applications.
CH2M/WILLIE T. LOUD SCHOLARSHIP Download scholarship form
CIGNA Healthcare (undergraduate or graduate) Download scholarship form
CPS-HR/Walter Vaughn Excellence in Human Resources Scholarship Download scholarship form
Full Circle Communications, Inc./Maynard Jackson Scholarship Download scholarship form
Infrastructure Engineering, Inc. Download scholarship form
J-DOS International Download scholarship form
Edward Alvin Washington, Jr. Scholarship Download scholarship form
Waters Consulting Group/Euly Ford Scholarship Download scholarship form
Application materials must be mailed in one packet including transcripts and letters of recommendation (in sealed envelopes). Incomplete, e-mailed or faxed applications will not be considered. Application packages must be postmarked by the deadline for program consideration.
All Application Packages Must Include
- A completed and signed NFBPA Scholarship Application Form for each scholarship for which you are applying
- An OFFICIAL undergraduate transcript(s);
- An OFFICIAL graduate transcript(s) if applicable; graduate students must also submit an undergraduate transcript(s)
- Two (2) reference letters from university faculty/ instructors
- A photocopy of the applicant’s current semester validated Student ID Card
- A three page typed autobiographical essay, detailing your academic and career goals and objectives.
- Using 8 ½” x 11” white paper; Triple-space after the title and Double-space the body of your essay, using 1” margins all around. (No extra documents such as pictures and certificates are allowed.)In addition to autobiographical info about you, this essay must: specify why you are an outstanding candidate for the scholarship; describe your current student status; cite other relevant information such as extra-curricula activities, volunteer activities, etc. that can be used in evaluating your application
- A one paragraph biographical sketch, highlighting academic attainment and future goals
A selection committee reviews all scholarship applications. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of application submission, including quality and substance of writing, academic record, financial need, leadership ability, participation in school activities, and community service.
Preliminary scholarship selectees will be interviewed by telephone prior to the final selection decision.
Additional Mandatory Requirements If Selected
- Required travel to NFBPA’s 33rd Annual Conference, FORUM 2016 in Portland, Oregon to receive the award. FORUM dates are April 13-17, 2016. Hotel accommodation for one night and air travel will be arranged and provided by NFBPA
- Submission of a professional photo (jpeg)
- Proven State issued Identification or Passport
- Name of airport you will be traveling from
All applications and supporting documents, photos, etc. become the property of the National Forum for Black Public Administrators and cannot be returned.
Amount Of Awards
$1,000 - $10,000 depending on scholarship
Conditions of Award
As a condition of award the NFBPA Scholarship Program is designed to recognize students who are currently enrolled full-time at a college or university. (Online Degree Completion Programs are not considered)
NFBPA accepts no less than twelve (12) semester credit hours to be considered a full-time undergraduate student and registration for a minimum of twelve credit hours for Fall 2016.
NFBPA accepts no less than nine (9) semester credit hours to be considered a full-time Non-Thesis or Thesis Master’s Degree student and registration for a minimum of nine (9) credit hours for Fall 2016.
Doctoral candidates must be registered for no less than nine (9) semester credit hours for Fall 2016,
including research credits, to be considered a full-time doctoral student.
Travel Awardees will be required to travel to FORUM 2016, April 13 -17, 2016 in Portland, Oregon.
Hotel accomodations for one night and air travel will be provided by NFBPA.
Scholarships are awarded for a period of one academic year. Re-awards are not given.
Scholarship funds are sent to the financial aid offices at the recipient’s college or university. Checks will be issued August 2016 and made payable to the University on behalf of the recipient; monies will not be disbursed prior to that time.
Transferring a scholarship to another institution is permissible if done so by July 15, 2016. The recipient must notify NFBPA of the intent to transfer, provide evidence of good academic standing, and submit proof of admission to the institution to be entered.
Due to the volume of applications received, NFBPA will only notify applicants who are selected to receive a scholarship. Winners of the scholarships will be notified by email early April 2016. Names of winners will be posted on the NFBPA web site www.nfbpa.org, Fall 2016.
The NFBPA 2015 Scholarship Application Deadline is
March 14, 2016
Application package should be sent to